FIRE SAFETY INSPECTOR I
DEPARTMENT: MSP Fire Prevention Commission and Fire Marshal
DATE OPENED: 10/29/2019 12:45:00 PM
FILING DEADLINE: 11/12/2019 11:59:00 PM
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-Time
HR ANALYST: Pamela Harvey
WORK LOCATION: Carroll County
This is a recruitment for the contractual Fire Safety Inspector I classification with the Office of the State Fire Marshal. The open position is in the Northeast Regional Office which covers Carroll, Cecil, and Harford Counties. This position will specifically cover Carroll County.
Location of office is located at the Bel Air Multi-Service Center on 2 South Bond Street in Bel Air, MD 21014. The main purpose of this position is the enforcement of State laws in the field of fire prevention and fire inspection in order to preserve life and protect property from fire and other emergency conditions. The Fire Safety Inspector conducts fire safety inspections of new and existing childcare facilities, foster care, and adoption homes. Employee will also prepare appropriate correspondence to communicate observations of fire code violations, maintain records, file related documents of inspections, determine operation readiness of new and existing fire suppression systems, investigate reported fire code complaints and testify at legal proceedings and Fire Prevention Commission meetings regarding disputes over inspections and fire code violations.
Minimum qualifications for this position are as follows:
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Note: 1. Experience inspecting buildings and other places of public assembly for compliance with fire prevention and safety laws, codes and regulations may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Firefighter classifications or Firefighter specialty codes in the fire inspection field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
Desired or preferred qualifications for this position are as follows:
1. Experience performing fire safety inspections in buildings with multiple uses.
2. Fire Safety inspection certification.
Licenses, Registrations and Certifications are as follows:
Candidates appointed to positions in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Special requirements for this position include:
1. Employees are assigned duties in a given service area of the State.
2. Candidates for positions in this classification will be subject to an initial drug screening, a physical examination and a complete criminal background investigation before permanent appointment can be made. A criminal conviction record may be grounds for rejection of the candidate.
3. Employees in this classification must successfully meet the standards established by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA 1031) for Fire Safety Inspector I prior to completion of the probationary period.
4. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Selection process for this position is as follows:
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after this date will not be considered. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Click HERE for a summary of the benefits with the State of Maryland employment.
Click HERE to apply online to this position.
If you are unable to apply online, you may submit an application via mail. The Maryland State Application Form can be found online. Completed application, required documentation and any required addendums may be mailed to: The Office of the State Fire Marshal at 1201 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD 21208 to the attention of Pamela Harvey.
For questions or concerns, please email Pamela Harvey at Pamela.Harvey@maryland.gov
*It is the policy of the Office of the State Fire Marshal to comply with all applicable federal and state laws prohibiting employment discrimination and to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected status.